Jen and the Action Figures

 

Like many of us, Jen has some Action Figures, like GI Joe and the SOTW, in her collection; these are not the same size as Ken, and civilian clothes are hard to find.  So Jen's challenge was to adapt the Real Clothes patterns to fit Joe; here's the story!

 I made a mandarin-collar shirt for Joe, but neglected to take into account that he has virtually no neck. So the collar looks a bit silly up over his jaw line. Plus, the collar doesn't meet at the center front because what neck he's got is so wide. Can you say "Man of the Cloth"? So today I decided to make him some snazzy pleated trousers.

 

For instance, GI Joe's rise is 1/4"shorter than Ken's, but just about everything else about slacks remains the same (except the waistline).  I used pants #220B For Him, faked the side front pocket, lowered the rise by 1/4", and added enough width to accommodate two pleats on each front.

Joe can wear the LS shirt pattern with the pleated cuff, BUT the cuff has to be hemmed AS CUT. Once it's hemmed, you can fold the pleat in and mark placement of tiny Velcro squares or a snap.

Finish with a button, and you'd never know it wasn't designed that way.  The main purpose of the scan is to show you when I do the cuff alteration during the shirt construction. It's so much easier for me to work on the cuff while the garment is still flat, so I even put the button on at this time. Your rubber cement tape was invaluable for keeping these tiny bits of Velcro in position while I stitched them down. This is the super-soft hook-and-loop tape from Tiny Zippers. Not sure I'll ever go back to the other stuff! Of course, I could've put snaps in instead, but I'll put them down the front. At the cuff, they would've added too much bulk.

 

One trick I did with the Power Team jeans to add a little realism was to topstitch the inseam in a contrasting thread color after the legs were hemmed and before stitching the crotch seam. I traced the stitching line from the pattern to the wrong side of the fabric and the end result faked an inseam very nicely.

I'm pretty impressed, if I do say so myself. And it was actually pretty easy.  Not so for shirts.

 

 

I used cotton/lycra rib knit for Action Man's sweater, and Ultrasuede for the diamond overlays. The overlays were glued down very effectively with Fabri-Tac. In case you can't see, the topstitching is green. The trousers are also from Carol's CDs, vol. 1. I altered them to fit Action Man, added pleats to the front and cuffs to the pants legs. I think it's a nice, casual look.

 

And isn't he handsome in his new shirt and suit!

 

 

 

Here's two more non-Ken guys with spiffy new clothes made with Jen's tips!

 

I see what she means by "no neck" - this will take some thinking about!

 

The shirt sleeves were just hemmed with no pleat and rolled up, to fit over his hands. 

 

 

 Here's another suggestion for adding a pleat to a pants pattern.

Cut along the centre dotted line to but not through the lower edge.  Spread the slash (see red lines) at the waist the desired width, and glue or tape paper to fill in the space.  Straighten up the hemline.  Now mark the pleat(s) to take up the extra you've added at the waist.

 

The blue lines indicate usual places to slash-and-spread-or-lap the pattern to add/remove  length from the crotch and the legs.

 

Once you've got a pattern altered to fit a doll, label it and keep it!

 

 

 

 Most of the AFs have wide as well as short necks.  This is a problem if you want the shirt to button up at the neck!  I haven't yet tried this alteration, but here's a sketch of how I'd adjust the pattern for a trial.  If you try it, we'd like to see a pic and hear how you make out!